The jawline — one of the most defining features of the human face — provides the structural scaffolding for the entire face, shape to the chin and lower face, and a frame for other facial features. An ideal jawline symbolizes beauty, youth, health, vitality, and confidence, as well as feminine elegance and refinement, or masculine power and strength.
Human beings associate a youthful, elegant, feminine face with the shape of a “V,” where the face showcases high cheekbones and full cheeks (at its widest point) and tapers off into a smooth, sculpted, well-defined, contoured jawline — which creates a sharp, crisp border that forms a harmonious balance with the rest of the face. In contrast, humans consider a chiseled, sharp, well-defined, angular, structured jawline as having a strong masculine shape.
Over time, natural aging gradually inverts a V-shaped face — cheeks flatten, nose-to-mouth nasolabial folds appear, and the sharp, sculpted contours of the jawline and chin sag and become obscured. The widest part of the face now sits at the jawline, creating an overly-square lower face with asymmetry, sagging, and hollowness. Genetics also can cause a weak, receding, sagging, heavy, unbalanced jawline.
Whether aging or genetics is involved, Dr. Hamilton can artistically reshape and revitalize the jawline non-surgically with Jawline Contouring, making adjustments that are so precise and tiny — yet produce such a powerful transformation of the jawline shape and facial profile — that the appearance of an individual’s entire face is enhanced — the reason why jawline-contouring treatments have recently skyrocketed in popularity.
Dr. Hamilton’s jawline transformations are fully customized to fulfill patient goals: an elegant, firm, smooth, sculpted, contoured, feminine shape, or alternatively, a chiseled, sculpted, angular, well-defined, structured masculine shape. These transformations are achieved with Jawline Contouring (or Jawline Augmentation), a jaw-sculpting treatment that adds injectable dermal fillers (either Juvederm, Restylane, or Radiesse) in and around the jaw and pre-jowl area to instantly contour and add youth-enhancing volume, definition, balance and symmetry to the jawline — for a refined, smooth, sculpted look that involves no downtime. This technique strengthens the chin proportionally to enhance the facial profile, minimizes the appearance of pre-jowls, and provides a strong frame for the face — creating a youthful, confidence-boosting revitalization of the jawline, facial profile, and face itself.
Juvederm and Restylane are both dermal fillers consisting of a gel based on hyaluronic acid, a powerful humectant that attracts and retains water molecules in the treated area to volumize and plump it. Radiesse is a different type of injectable dermal filler that instead uses a calcium-based solution. Radiesse adds volume, stimulates the production of collagen (a protein in the body responsible for the skin’s framework, elasticity, and firmness) within the skin, and forms a scaffold for the skin. All three injectables provide immediate contouring results. However, Radiesse also provides additional long-term improvement, helping to restore collagen lost from aging. Depending on metabolism, Juvederm and Restylane last up to 12-24 months, while Radiesse lasts up to 2 years.
Jawline Contouring can be combined with many other nonsurgical and surgical treatments that tighten, lift, and contour the face and neck to further enhance an individual’s overall facial and neck aesthetic, for example:
- he area above the jawline can also be treated to further slim the appearance of the jawline with Masseter Botox, a technique where BOTOX® Cosmetic is strategically injected into the masseter muscles (located at the rear of the cheeks), which reduces the size of the jaw muscles, effectively slimming the face above the jawline.
- reating the area below the jawline with a Nefertiti Lift also elegantly defines the jawline. Botox is injected into the platysmal bands (the vertical neck muscles that run from the jaw to the base of the neck) — which relaxes them, preventing their downward pull on the lower face. The muscles on the upper face can then properly lift the skin, resulting in a contoured, defined jaw with a less visible, improved appearance of the bands.
- A small, surgical procedure called Submental Liposuction (or Chin and Neck Liposuction) — the gold standard for permanently removing excess, stubborn subcutaneous fat deposits that collect around the neck and jawline — further optimizes jaw definition and elegantly contours the neck for a youthful, smooth rejuvenation along the lower face, jaw, and neck.
- Lip Augmentation blends well with jawline contouring, where a dermal filler creates beautifully soft, full, well-defined, symmetrical lips that help optimize the lower third of the face.
- Contouring the jawline and chin together with a nose-reshaping procedure — either a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (using an injectable dermal filler) or a Surgical Rhinoplasty — enhances the facial profile, optimizing facial beauty and attractiveness.
- Additionally, because the cheekbones also structurally support the face, Jawline Contouring is regularly performed in conjunction with Cheekbone Augmentation (or Cheekbone Contouring) to ensure the mid-face is in proportion with a sculpted, well-defined jawline — which prevents a bottom-heavy look, optimizing facial balance for a youthful radiance.
- When wrinkle-smoothing Botox (or other neuromodulators) and the contouring effects of Facial Sculpting (using dermal fillers) are artfully used together on the face and neck, they optimally enhance and optimize an individual’s aesthetics. With Full Facial Optimization of the Face and Neck, Dr. Hamilton treats the entire face and neck as a whole, rather than in isolated sections, to enhance and maximize their overall beauty and aesthetics — depending on the individual’s anatomy and goals, she selects procedures from an armamentarium of techniques from injectables (such as Dermal Fillers and Botox or other neuromodulators) to advanced techniques for Skin Rejuvenation (including Laser Skin Resurfacing, RF (Radiofrequency) Skin Tightening, RF (Radiofrequency) Microneedling, PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) Microneedling, or Chemical Peels). The overall result is a subtle, youthful, radiant, harmonious appearance that beautifully maintains facial identity and sparks a newfound sense of confidence.