What Are Neuromodulators?
Every face is unique. The human face naturally forms fine lines and wrinkles from the effects of aging, genetics, gravity, the sun, and lifestyle factors – leading individuals to seek treatment to prevent wrinkle formation and progression as well as to smooth existing lines. Dr. Kristy Hamilton is an elite facial-optimization expert renowned for her ability to artfully rejuvenate the face, nose, neck, and body both surgically and non-surgically. Her expertise attracts patients from around the world to exquisitely optimize, fine-tune and rejuvenate their appearance – and a large proportion of her practice is to also correct previous, unnatural-looking facial-optimization work performed elsewhere.
A key element of Dr. Kristy Hamilton’s Signature Non-Surgical Facial Optimization Treatment is using FDA-approved cosmetic neuromodulators (such as BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport®, both commonly referred to as ‘Botox’). Renowned for their ability to rejuvenate the human face, nose, neck, and body, both neuromodulators are local muscle relaxants adapted from the botulinum neuromodulator type-A. Dr. Hamilton strategically injects these neuromodulators into specific muscles to target dynamic wrinkles caused by muscular contractions (such as smiling and squinting) and to prevent lines from forming there in the first place – all without downtime. Both neuromodulators are similar in many ways; however, Dysport® is composed of a slightly smaller protein, which allows it to work more quickly. These neuromodulators are a game-changer in temporarily minimizing and smoothing fine lines and wrinkles. From severe forehead lines and deep crow’s feet to profound creases between the brows, Dr. Hamilton uses her aesthetic eye to beautifully enhance and revitalize the look of her patients.
Every facial analysis Dr. Hamilton performs is unique. She blends this analysis with finesse and artistry to preserve and restore natural facial beauty and youthfulness with her innovative, customized, facial-optimization techniques. As a highly-trained, board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon, Dr. Hamilton employs her deep knowledge of the human anatomy to precisely and strategically inject neuromodulators into the muscles of the face, nose, neck, and body to relax targeted muscles to soften, smooth, and prevent lines. Moreover, Dr. Hamilton also creatively makes tiny micro-adjustments to facial features for a dramatically refreshed, youthful and natural-looking appearance. For example, she delicately improves eyebrow position non-surgically to make the brows align symmetrically together for harmony and balance. The effects are localized to the treated area, allowing for precise targeting and controlled results. The total overall outcome is stunning, where patients dynamically look and feel like the best, younger version of themselves – while still maintaining their natural facial movement, expression, and identity.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BOTOX® AND DYSPORT® NEUROMODULATORS?
The placement of neuromodulators is an art form that creates harmony and balance, specifically tailored to the aesthetic goals of the patient. Dr. Hamilton’s Non-surgical Signature Facial Optimization Treatment is a sophisticated, comprehensive, advanced program which targets the face as an integrated whole – treating multiple areas at the same time – to temporarily relax the muscles responsible for causing wrinkles, softening their appearance. The bespoke treatment, which typically activates within 3-7 days with full effects visible in 1-2 weeks, powerfully optimizes and harmonizes the overall face – and produces finesse facial profile balancing that together create a vibrant, beautiful, rejuvenated appearance. (Patients also are provided the option of treating their facial features individually to meet their own particular aesthetic goals.) Neuromodulators usually last 3-4 months, depending upon a person’s individual metabolism.
Over time, and with consistent, periodic injections of neuromodulators, the individual’s fine lines and wrinkles will gradually become smoother as the muscles learn to relax. With innovation and intuition, Dr. Hamilton has developed a specialized set of customized, injectable aesthetic techniques to brighten and optimize the face, nose, neck, and body using BOTOX® and Dysport® for beautiful rejuvenation. The applications for using neuromodulators on the human face and body are varied and remarkable, as evidenced by the following myriad of benefits arising from using neuromodulators:
BOTOX FOR THE UPPER-THIRD OF THE FACE — FOREHEAD, CROW’S FEET & GLABELLA / ‘11’ LINES:
- Smooth, soften, erase, or prevent fine lines and wrinkles by injecting neuromodulators into the upper-third of the face to enhance facial harmony. The three most popular facial areas treated with neuromodulators are:
- the frown lines in the forehead,
- crow’s feet (the lines at the outer corner of the eyes), and
- the ‘11’ lines in the glabella (the vertical lines between and above the eyebrows).
- By targeting specific facial muscles in the upper-third of the face with neuromodulators, Dr. Hamilton provides a customized solution to relax these muscles and erase lines in these specific areas to align with the patient’s aesthetic goals. The smooth, even, youthful-looking complexion that results enhances the individual’s natural beauty, while maintaining facial identity and expression.
- Neuromodulators smooth moderate to severe forehead lines, while enabling the individual to still show emotion.
CROW’S FEET BOTOX:
- Neuromodulators help erase the drooping, creased appearance that occurs on the skin at the outer corner of the eyes, revealing brightened and refreshed eyes.
BOTOX FOR THE GLABELLA / ‘11’ LINES:
- Treating the ’11s’ — those pesky, persistent vertical lines between and above the eyebrows (an area called the glabella) makes the lines virtually imperceptible and revitalizes the eyes, making them look brighter and more open.
- The total effect of rejuvenating the upper-third of the face creates a refreshed, radiant appearance and beautiful, youthful glow that enhance your natural beauty.
AXILLA BOTOX / ARMPIT BOTOX:
- Stop and/or greatly reduce excessive sweating in the axilla (armpit) caused by axillary hyperhidrosis by injecting the sweat glands located in the armpit to selectively turn them off, creating a normal appearance without wetness for an average of 6-12 months.
- Create leaner, beautiful definition and contouring to the lower legs by treating thick, bulky calves (targeting the gastrocnemius muscles) with neuromodulators.
- Erase dimples and bumpy “Orange Peel” skin (or “Peau d’Orange”) on the chin to create a smooth, evenly textured look. When chin muscles hold tension and contract excessively, the chin develops an uneven, pebbly appearance. The neuromodulator relaxes and softens the chin muscles to transform and soften the look of the chin.
DAO BOTOX / ‘GRINCH’ BOTOX:
- Lift the mouth’s downturned corners to unlock a youthful, happy, resting look.The Depressor Anguli Oris (DAO) is a muscle responsible for pulling down the corners of the mouth. Injecting the DAO provides a cutting-edge technique to finely soften the marionette lines – the vertical creases that extend from the corners of the mouth to the chin). DAO Botox beautifully restores a vibrant, naturally-lifted, revitalized appearance and powerfully lifts confidence due to its ability to create a new, radiant, youthful-looking smile.
EYEBROW BOTOX / NON-SURGICAL BROW LIFT:
- Subtly raise the eyebrow position and arch for a rejuvenating elevation of the brows.
- Injecting neuromodulator around the eyes and between the brows softens the muscles that pull the eyebrows down, leading to elevated brows. Additionally, a Non-Surgical Brow Lift smooths and erases fine lines and wrinkles at the crow’s feet and between the brows.
GUMMY SMILE BOTOX:
- Reduce a ‘Gummy Smile’ (showing over-exposed upper teeth and an excessive amount of gums when smiling) for a youthful, attractive smile.
- A tiny amount of neuromodulator is injected on either side of the nose will relax the muscles pulling on the upper lip, which will then relax the upper lip when smiling, showing less gums, for a beautiful aesthetic look.
- Treat and stop excessive sweating in the palms of the hands, a condition called Palmar Hyperhidrosis. Injections of neuromodulators inhibit the receptors that cause the glands in the hands to sweat.
- Create the impression of a fuller, plumper upper lip with a ‘Lip Flip’ – without adding volume – by slightly unfurling the upper lip for a subtle enhancement.
- Lips form a central part of the facial features of a human being, and as such, they play a significant role in defining facial presence. When a tiny amount of neuromodulator is placed in the muscle at the top portion of the vermillion border (the demarcation between the lip and adjacent facial skin), it causes the lip to relax more and creates greater lip eversion, gently flipping it out ever so slightly to create more lip show – making the upper lid look fuller and enhanced.
- Relax the large masseter muscles that control the lower jaw to:
- define and slim the lower third of the face above the jawline.
- re-contour a square face into a slim, aesthetically-beautiful, “V-shaped” jawline, balancing the overall facial shape.
- reduce teeth grinding (bruxism), jaw clenching, headaches caused by grinding or clenching, and TMJ dysfunction (or temporomandibular joint dysfunction), relieving pain and discomfort – a real game-changer that typically lasts six months on average.
NEFERTITI BOTOX NECK LIFT:
- Rejuvenate the neck and jawline by injecting neuromodulator into several locations along the lower jaw and down the patient’s neck. A Nefertiti Lift relaxes the platysma (the muscle fibers extending from the collarbone to the angle of the jaw that stick out when the neck is flexed), enabling the upper facial muscles to pull upwards without resistance. It reduces the downward pull on the tissues of the lower face.
- The neuromodulator provides horizontal neck line correction and produces a beautiful, elongated and tightened appearance of the neck, effectively making the jaw and neckline look smoother, taut, more defined, and lifted.
- Enhance and refine the facial aesthetics and look of the nose, creating stunning effects with Nose Botox in several ways:
- Soften, smooth and prevent “Bunny Lines” from forming — tiny horizontal lines that develop across the top and sides of the nasal bridge due to repeated facial movements such as nose-scrunching.
- Create a beautiful, lifted Nasal Tip for the nose and enhance its Contour by lifting a downturned nasal tip.
- Improve and correct Nasal Flare, reducing prominent or pronounced widening of the nostrils to optimize the appearance of the nose.
PLATYSMAL BAND BOTOX:
- Smooth and soften visible platysmalbands (two vertical bands of muscle situated on both sides of the neck) with neuromodulator injections to relax the neck muscles, minimizing the visibility of the platysmal muscles to restore a smoother, more youthful-looking neck.
- Treat mild to moderate textural changes that is caused by Tech Neck on the skin of the neck.
- Tech Neck is a term describing repetitive strain to the neck that causes discomfort in the lower neck due to improper neck position and overused neck muscles. It is a condition that occurs through repetitive downward viewing of devices such as smartphones, laptops, and tablets.
- Micro-Tox injections – sprinkling tiny doses of a neuromodulator all over the neck – alleviate the pain and create a tighter appearance of the skin of the neck.
TRAPEZIUS BOTOX / TRAP TOX / BARBIE BOTOX / BARBIE-TOX:
- Create an elongated, “swan-like” neck with a technique called ‘Trap Tox’ or ‘Barbie Botox’ or ‘Barbie-Tox’ by relaxing the trapezius muscle – a powerful, butterfly-shaped muscle which extends over the shoulders and back of the neck.
- Injecting neuromodulator into the trapezius muscles causes selective debulking of the muscle to relieve existing tension and stiffness in the neck and upper shoulders, prevent hunching of the neck and shoulders to improve posture, and treat shoulder pain and migraines. ‘Barbie Botox’ also transforms a thicker neck and bulky shoulders into an elegant, more contoured and elongated swan neck with a slimmer, more feminine silhouette called the ‘Barbie Doll Look’.
- While BOTOX® and Dysport® usually starts working in 3-7 days, neuromodulators injected into the trapezius typically take a week or two longer before full relief from pain or tightness is felt and up to four weeks before the aesthetic slimming effects to become fully apparent.
WHAT IS BABY BOTOX® / MICRO-BOTOX®?
Baby Botox (also called Micro-Botox) is a popular aesthetic technique where multiple, tiny micro-doses of a neuromodulator (such a BOTOX® and Dysport®) are precisely sprinkled across the face – in smaller amounts than used in traditional Botox treatments. Baby Botox prevents fine lines, smooths and softens existing lines, and refines skin quality, for a smoother, fresher, younger-looking complexion, while retaining natural expression and movement. Micro-Botox treatments attract many segments of the population, including younger individuals intent on preventing the future formation or progression of fine lines and wrinkles, people who have already formed lightly-etched lines and now desire anti-wrinkling treatment and preventative maintenance, and individuals of varying ages who desire more subtle results than that offered by traditional Botox. Baby Botox activates in 3-7 days with full effects visible in 1-2 weeks, and it lasts 3-4 months. Patients typically maintain their results with treatments 2-4 times annually, per their aesthetic goals. Baby Botox is a rising star in aesthetics today — an excellent way to create and maintain a smoother, fresher, more polished complexion, while still retaining very natural movement.
WHAT TREATMENTS CAN BE COMBINED WITH BOTOX® OR DYSPORT®?
To further optimize facial features and boost skin quality, injections of neuromodulators such as BOTOX® or Dysport® ⸺ can be combined with the use of Medical-Grade Skincare Products and other Non-surgical Procedures for harmony, proportion, symmetry, and overall profile balancing. For example, neuromodulator injections can be combined with injections of Dermal Fillers to define and sculpt the contour of the lips, nose, chin, jawline, cheeks, tear troughs, temples, nasolabial (smile) lines, mouth-to-chin marionette lines, the vertical lip lines above the upper lip, and the horizontal neck lines known as “Tech Neck”. Adding Surgical Procedures such as a surgical brow lift, upper and lower eyelid lift, facelift, necklift, or a nose-reshaping rhinoplasty — provide the gold standard in optimizing an individual’s facial appearance, vibrantly creating a stunning rejuvenation with beautifully-shaped, youthful-looking facial features and radiant, light-reflecting angles. Combining Botox treatments with other non-surgical procedures, a medical-grade skincare regimen, and surgical treatments subtly yet powerfully transforms the entire face – revealing a beautiful rejuvenation where patients look and feel their best self.
THE MANY WONDERS OF BOTOX® AND DYSPORT® NEUROMODULATORS:
The human face is a treasure trove of emotions and experiences, with every facial expression requiring muscle contractions which pull at the attached skin, creating fine lines and wrinkles. The many wonders of injecting neuromodulators into the human face and body – to effectively erase wrinkles, prevent new lines from forming, and smooth the appearance – can boost an individual’s confidence level and sense of well-being. In fact, multiple studies report showing that Botox injections can positively increase the mood of human beings after treatment. Dr. Hamilton deeply understands the art and science behind performing these transformative treatments to create a powerful solution to facial rejuvenation without the requirement for invasive surgical treatments.